And Now a Word From The Sponsor

Welcome to my site and thank you for reading. After many times thinking, if only I had a blog, well-- here we are. This blog will feature writings on a variety of topics from roadside food, to leadership in the fire service; politics; culture- gay, straight, and indifferent, my experiences in Ohio, New York and beyond; and much much more. It's my hope that you will find it interesting and that it stirs at least some thought and discussion. I am certain you wont always agree, but that is what its all about right? Oh and one more thing:

The views expressed on this site are entirely my own. They do not reflect in anyway the views or positions of my employer (s) and should not taken as official policy of ANY organization with which I am associated. Reading or sharing any post from this site shall be taken as an indication that you have read this disclaimer and understand it.



Sunday, October 20, 2013

A brief mini-rant about EMS Delivery Models

I understand the need for two tier EMS systems. Especially in larger cites it makes sense having a BLS/ALS mix: IF you have an effective dispatching operation to go along with it.  By effective I mean upwards of 95% accurate in call-typing.  It also helps to have first-responder fire units with BLS capability at a minimum and ALS capability in areas where response times can be lengthy.  However, what I can not grasp are the EMS systems that still send two ALS ambulances on ALS Calls. These agencies seem to have challenges grasping the resource management component of EMS response. If its an extra set of hands you need- send along an Engine or Rescue on non-emergency. If its critical ALS then send that Supression unit on emergency.  But why waste your second ambulance on the same call? Just my $.02....

No comments:

Post a Comment